Pastor. Professor. Paddler. Poet.
That’s Dave Ellingson.
He’s a former professor at Trinity Lutheran College and the author of several books. He’s also a popular speaker at churches, colleges and other venues like REI. Dave’s strong faith and passionate devotion to God’s creation have inspired admirers around the globe. His former students, together with followers of his Paddle Pilgrim journeys, began a scholarship fund to help students gain the education they’ll need to impact their world.
The Dave Ellingson Scholarship for Environmental Studies is enabling a new generation of students to fulfill their life calling and pursue their passion.
"This scholarship will help prepare students to care for and tend our garden-planet so that it may be enjoyed by future generations. I wholeheartedly support this worthy cause!" Ciscoe Morris - Author, Expert Gardener, TV Personality, and Speaker
The Fjord Angel's
Dave's last paddle adventure took him to Norway, the land of his ancestors. Along with a devoted crew of kayakers, he spent days paddling the fjords, soaking in the majestic beauty of Norway’s mountains, streams and waterfalls. Their journey was awe-inspiring and difficult. But as Dave discovered, there are often people of good will who come along to help at just the right time. “I started calling the people who helped us along the way our fjord angels,” he says.
When you donate to the Dave Ellingson Scholarship fund, you ensure that Dave's legacy of creation care and responsible stewardship continues with the next generation of leaders.
You can help provide tomorrow’s leaders with the resources they need to succeed.
"Join me in supporting this wonderful opportunity to provide scholarships so that students might pursue vocations that 'let justice roll down like waters...'" - Rev. Paul Benz, Director of Faith Action Network
The Dave Ellingson Scholarship is awarded on a yearly basis with the option of reapplying the following year. One Scholarship for $5,000 will be awarded for the 2021-2022 school year. The scholarship includes an internship at Holden Village, a retreat center located in the scenic Cascade Mountains that focuses on creation care and social justice stewardship. Additionally, the scholarship awardee will participate in quarterly mentoring sessions with Dave Ellingson to discuss spiritual and practical needs.
Scholarships are paid directly to the college of choice and will be applied to tuition and related expenses.
Please note that students may receive only one scholarship at a time from the Foundation.
This scholarship is for undergraduate students who:
- Have a passion for environmental issues, and plan to pursue a major in this area.
- Will be attending an accredited Christian college or university in the Northwest (WA, OR, ID, MT).
- Have a high school or college GPA of at least 2.5.
- Degree majors include but are not limited to Environmental Studies; Environmental Management & Policy; Environmental Science; Agricultural Engineering; and Agribusiness. If you are not sure your major qualifies, please email us at the address below for review and clarification.
Preparing to Apply
Following is the checklist of items you'll need for your application. Please note: you are responsible for ensuring all aspects of your application are completed on time.
- PDF of your High School transcripts if you are currently a High School student. If you are not in High School, a PDF of your Diploma or GED Certificate.
- PDF of your College acceptance letter.
- PDF of your unofficial transcripts if you are already attending college.
- PDF of any additional financial aid awards.
- The name and email of at least one teacher/advisor to provide a recommendation regarding your academic performance.
- The name and email of at least one leader to provide a recommendation regarding your volunteer/service work. (e.g.: clergy, youth leader, local volunteer work, school club advisor, or a supervisor if you work while attending school.)
- 350-word essay describing the circumstances of your financial need.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.